#findingthegood – How to become more socially involved in 2010
With the dawn of a new decade and a new year it is a great time for people to become socially involved with causes and non-profit organizations they care about. Compared to say the 1970’s where people would volunteer their time or make a donation, in 2010 people can be involved with the click of a mouse and contribute in many more ways compared to a generation or two ago. Here is a recap of some of the websites available for people to become involved. Thanks to Josh Catone for his article, 15 Ways to use Social Media for #findingthegood
- http://www.care2.com/ – Care2 provides powerful tools to make a difference in your life, your community, and the world. Founded in 1998, the site hosts petitions (over 1.2 million of them), raises money for 400 non-profit partners, has a community powered news portal, a volunteer job search, and has a growing blog network.
- http://www.change.org/ – Change.org aims to address social and environmental problems by serving as the central platform informing and empowering movements for social change. The site gives users the tools to create and sign petitions, discuss topics, raise money for charity, and learn about issues via a growing network of blogs.
- www.causecast.org – is the youtube.com version for non-profits. It is a video-centric social network encouraging people to come together around social causes and raise money for charities.
- www.allforgood.org is a local search engine of volunteer opportunities and a listing of non-profit events. It is a tool consumers can utilize to help improve their community.
- www.betterplace.org is a platform for social projects where people can seek support for their causes and initiatives or find ways to become involved with causes and projects.
By posting this blog we encourage people to become involved with their favorite charities and causes. The Internet provides us some unique opportunities to explore and express ourselves for #findingthegood. If you know of any other websites for people, please post your comments below.